Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Vests vs. Chest packs, Page 2

BflatApril 16th, 2008, 7:45 pm
central wisconsin

I find it difficult to frequently change between various "toting" devices. I like knowing where my stuff is within that vest, bag, pack, whatever. When I switch, I seem to spend a lot of time rummaging around looking for where that thing I need is. I have switched from a vest to a chest pack, but intend to stick with that long enough for locating items to become second nature (like it was with my vest). I switched to a fishpond chest pack primarily because I like the integral fly storage system. Though I still carry boxes in the pack, my primary flies are in the easily accessible "fold downs." I seldom need to open a box.
Bflat
Mr_blighDecember 9th, 2008, 10:22 am
West Virginia

Vests vs Chest Packs. I've tried them both and am sticking with my vests - one for normal weather and a mesh one for warmer days. The chest packs with two sets of pockets on what amount to suspender straps look embarrassingly like a bra and serve to simply divide up all the junk you have to carry on the stream. The single chest pack is OK if you're skinny but just tends to add to your paunch if you're not. They also make it difficult to see directly below you when wading or hiking. If you want to travel light just take stuff out of your vest pockets! Additionally, many chest packs tend to "ride up" so some have gone to a kind of harness to keep them in place - takes a long time to get on and off and seems like a lot of fuss for reduced storage capacity. I too am trying to simplify and reduce what I carry in my vest but empty pockets beg to be filled - cameras, sandwiches, a gps, walky talky, water bottles and the latest and greatest gadgets all tend to accumulate in empty nooks and crannies. It's the vest for me.
go carefully on the greasy road for therein lies the skid demon
LastchanceDecember 11th, 2008, 4:03 pm
Portage, PA

I never liked chest packs until recently. I found one for cheap on Sierra Trading. It's slim so I can see my feet and large enough to carry plenty of gear for a day on the water. I didn't like the backpack that came with it (too small). I want to be able to carry a drink and a sandwich. I bought a back pack that I liked, again from Sierra Trading. With a little sewing help from a shoemaker I put the 2 together. I love it. I found that I feel much more free with just the straps over my shoulders. My shoulders don't ache liked they used to with a loaded vest.
Aaron7_8December 14th, 2008, 5:43 pm
Helena Montana

For me it depends on how long I am going to be out and the time of year. I have a little "man purse" also called an over the shoulder bag that holds everything I need minus the bug spray and sunscreen required in summer, and a camelpak backpak sans the bladder for all the summertime necessities.
HellgramiteDecember 15th, 2008, 4:23 pm
Southern calif.

I ware a drop down waist pack that can also be used as a chest pack.When i am not in the water i ware it on my waist.It holds every thing i need including chap stick.About 20 years ago when i switched to fly from bate.i got a vest.It was very hot to ware and i seemed to carry more stuff than i needed.After getting the pack everything i carry i use and can be away from the truck or camp all day.I go through it 2 to 3 times a year and keep it supplied at all times.When i go fishing i grab a rod and the pack and I'm off.
LeakywadersDecember 19th, 2008, 9:58 am
New England

Seems like a evolution thing we all go through.
I used a cheap vest till I encounteded a bargin at Orvis. Got a vest with thousands of pockets for 40% off. Yes it holds EVERYTHING witha few drawbacks. First of all the more pockets tha harder it is to find what you want. Secound the more pockets the more stuff you carry, and that gets heavy. We all want THE ONE FLY that will catch fish, but there is a price to pay to have all of them with us. This all reached a critical mass on a stream in May in VT. If you have never been there, May in VT is warm, not hot, and the neoprene waders are nice. Well, my toes were cold and I was sweating, wearing nothing but a light cotton shirt, and the vest. Turns out the vest was 5 layers of cloth with fly boxes in between (really great insulation), and weighed over 10 pounds (How do flies get to weigh 10 pounds?). To give Orvis credit, it didn't feel like 10 lbs when the vest was on, and nothing got in the way of casting. It was really comfortable, when I put it on, and thru the day. It turns outh that the weight was the fly boxes and the gadgets. I had to go thru the gadgets and eliminate everything I haden't used latley. That was 90% of them. Sometimes I think I was better off when I didn't have the money to buy all of this stuff. Since it was May, I didn't need 2 dozen grasshopper patterns, did I. Amd a lot of other stuff. Didn't solve the 5 layers of fabric tho. On that trip I found a belly pack that I slung over my right sholder, to hang on my left. Like a bandolier. With zingers for tools on the strap it kinda worked. That has evolved (after trying a mesh vest) to a small light vest that has 4 front pockets, and a back pocket, and a camera bag. Camera bag carries most of the flies (again like a bandolier), vest has tools, and flies I expect to use. I can slip the camera bag in back of me most of the time. Thus I am cool, and unencombered. This season the "everything vest" stayed in the car on trips, just in case. Think I only went back to the car to get something 3 times. Actually I did feel self concious in the "everything vest", a little too yuppie for me, like I thought I knew what I was doing. I read somewhere where someone has an old tackle box he uses for a filing cabinet in the car, I'm thinking of using a backpack. On the other hand they make bass fishing tackle boxes with drawers? Since it is snowing... I WAS asked if I want to go ice fishing this morning. Can you see me trying to land a fly in a 6" hole in the ice?? I looked at her and said "I'll sit in the car and read while you fish."
Drag free??? If the fly didn't drag, I wouldn't know where it was!!
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.