-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
KonchuSeptember 13th, 2007, 1:29 pm
Site Editor
Indiana

Shawn:
You beat me to it...

Anyway the research was/will be published in the reputed journal, Science.

Amazing time to be a biologist.
CaseyPSeptember 13th, 2007, 4:51 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

anyone else think this is really, really scary?

gorillas are getting scarce, too...
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Shawnny3September 13th, 2007, 6:37 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

gorillas are getting scarce, too...

Heh, heh.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
GeneSeptember 13th, 2007, 8:35 pm

You better not let George Bush hear about this because he'll veto any research on stuff like this...even in fish!!!!!!!!

tight lines and stem cell trout

gene
www.eugenemacri.com
KonchuSeptember 14th, 2007, 7:58 am
Site Editor
Indiana

I wonder if he'd veto this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070914/ap_on_bi_ge/farm_scene;_ylt=AtbFtrx3CIlyB4CqjyAQxt.s0NUE
TaxonSeptember 14th, 2007, 9:26 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

I wonder if he'd veto this:

Don't know, but it'll never fly anyway unless they start using the term larvae, as maggots have such a negative image.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
GeneSeptember 14th, 2007, 11:35 am

That will be just great now won't it! Trout conditioned to feed on maggots! I guess that's better than pellets! But I already have my secret maggot (larvae) pattern ready to compete with the hordes of bait slingers who will be using live maggots. I'm going to call it Macri's Maggot Buster! I think all of you should order a dozen!

tight lines and rainbow trout rising for floating maggots (I have many versions of this pattern already!)

gene
www.flyfisher.com

p.s. and please no jokes about my sick mind; because if you are a fly fisherman you are all sick!
TaxonSeptember 14th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Yes, Gene. But surely you must realize, the greater the mind, the more sick it becomes.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
MartinlfSeptember 14th, 2007, 12:53 pm
Palmyra PA

Ah, Roger, that reminds me of a Shakespeare quotation:

"Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds."
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3September 14th, 2007, 3:02 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

"then enlist college students for blind taste tests"

Boy, does that take me back. The crap I tasted for an extra three bucks...

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
JMarcusSeptember 14th, 2007, 10:16 pm
Bellingham, WA

Regarding the maggots: It's simply a ramped up version of the old fish feeding method of throwing road kill onto a chicken wire mesh deck in the sun over the bluegill pond. Worked for them.

Regarding the foster fish: Now... would these be referred to as cowbird fish or cuckoo fish? Nuthin' new, really.

JMarcus
http://www.flyrodjewelry.com
J Marcus
http://www.flyrodjewelry.com
Shawnny3September 16th, 2007, 3:47 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

You better not let George Bush hear about this because he'll veto any research on stuff like this...even in fish!!!!!!!!

I know Gene was saying this at least somewhat facetiously, but I think the overwhelming negativity directed toward Bush's position on stem-cell research is a good example of how the lightning-rod of one man has caused people to fail to even authentically engage an issue. Bush has, granted, made many boneheadedly stubborn, cowboys-vs.-indians decisions. Stubbornness is not always a bad trait in a leader, if he is as smart as, say, Teddy Roosevelt. But George Bush is clearly no Teddy, and he'd do well to listen to some experts now and then.

That said, though, Bush's stem-cell position is, whether you agree with it or not, quite logical and easily defended. It is the liberal position, rather, which finds itself floundering between the ideals of reproductive freedom and environmental responsibility. One might think, given how difficult it is to resolve the stem-cell issue in the context of other liberal positions, that liberals would approach the issue with prudent trepidation. Instead, the liberal camp has reasoned that any position George Bush takes MUST be wrong and has jumped in with both feet firmly planted on thin ice. Once the position was clearly defined as "whatever is opposite Mr. Bush's position", the only way to make their own position tenable was to turn the big guns squarely on him and try as hard as possible to make the conservative position look like just another of Bush's stupid, Texas-sized errors in judgment that his mindless band of Southerners go along with like so many blind sheep... when it's really not. If you yell loud enough that you're right and someone else is stupid, a lot of ignorant people will believe you... which is exactly what's happened. On this issue more than any other we should consider the wisdom of Dan Akroyd in 'Tommy Boy': "What the American public doesn't know is what makes them the American public."

Or do we not really want to go to this place...

-Shawn

P.S. Jason, please don't kick me off the board. I'm really not just trying to piss people off for no reason.
www.davisflydesigns.com
Shawnny3September 16th, 2007, 7:34 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Historically, a pig or something would be strung up over a pond, and the maggots were knocked off.

Yummy. I suppose it sucked in those days to be low man on the totem pole. I'm sure you've paid some dues I'd rather not know about, David.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
GeneSeptember 16th, 2007, 9:59 pm

I don't know where you get this is a liberal idea..is Nancy Reagan- a liberal! Why don't you mail your stem cell analysis to his family..I'm sure they would invite you back for dinner! I find your analysis scientifically without merit. Bush is scientifically illiterate. He is a phony and he has put this nation into the Dark Ages. His veto on stem cells has nothing do with anything except playing to the fanatics on the Religious Right. He has killed millions of innocent people in Iraq under the guise of fighting terrorism. How the f..k do you analyze this as being immoral on stems cells which are going to be thrown out anyway under the f..king guise of morality while you and your fearless leader doesn't give a rat's ass about human life. Wait-- did you and Pat "the whore" Robertson talk to your God lately and God told you it was wrong? Is this the same God of the Right F..king Wing that wants to bomb everyone in the Middle East so all the Jews can go to Israel because all of you believe that God is coming when all the Jews go back?

You and your friends don't give a f..k about people once they are out of the womb; you just want to force your scientifically illiteracy on the rest of us by engendering it as some form of religious sanctity that your crowd has a monopoly on logic and morality.

This is the same f..king group that preaches about homosexuality but can't stop it's members from trying to blow guys in the men's room! This is the same crowd that allows Saudi Arabia Diplomats to be child molesters under their watch (yes...that's right..that's what the Bush family has protected over the years).

All you religious moral people can kiss my ass. My mom has Alzheimer's and no f..king lunatic like you or Bush should have the say in possible treatments or cures.

Any son of a bitch who would support George Bush doesn't deserve to call himself an educated man, a Man of God, a human being or a fly fisherman as far as I'm concerned. I have had enough of all you clowns trying tell me what is moral while you f..k everyone you can in every way possible.

Bush is an environmental terrorist who has destroyed everything in the nation from the Constitution and The Bill of Rights to the Right of Privacy. He is neither a Republican nor a Conservative..he is a f..king cocaine and alcoholic burnout lunatic who didn't have the balls to go to war during his time period and now thinks he some kind of warrior. Dr. Paul Craig Roberts who was assistant secretary of the treasury under Ronald Reagan thinks exactly the way I do. In fact, he wants the bastard IMPEACHED (try going to www.counterpunch.com to read his articles).

You have naive understanding of the world and that is clearly shown in your stretch for some form of logic in defense of Bush. If that lunatic Bastard dropped dead tomorrow (and Cheney too) I'd buy the beer. He has destroyed this nation and we may be past the point of no return all under his (and I guess yours too) insane and misunderstanding of science and the world.

You are the antithesis of a thinking human being as far as I am concerned. Neither you nor Bush the Dickhead have the right to play God with someone's health or life. And I don't really care if I get thrown off the board because you deserve what you got for attempting to engender us with what you call antiliberal bullshit under the guise of logic and morality of George Bush, one of the most immoral humans in the history of this planet.

tight lines and maybe george bush will invite you to fish with him because I don't want you on my trout streams. The trout deserve better...

gene
www.eugenemacri.com

Shawnny3September 17th, 2007, 12:52 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Gene, I have great respect for you as a professional who knows more about streams, insects, and flyfishing than I probably ever will. I've learned a lot from your posts, and your expertise has clearly elevated the quality of many of the threads you've contributed to. I for one certainly hope you don't abandon this site and forum on my account. But I'll refrain from responding directly to any more of your posts, which is probably best for everyone. Contrary to your sentiments, I hope we do get a chance to meet on the stream sometime and share in an activity we both agree is pretty awesome.

My sincere apologies to Jason. I shouldn't have used his excellent forum as a medium for discussing personal politics. He certainly didn't develop this site so he could referee verbal jousting about stuff only loosely related to flyfishing. This site is about bugs and fishing, and I hope we can all go back to focusing on that.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
MartinlfSeptember 17th, 2007, 2:41 pm
Palmyra PA

I'll second Shawn's sentiments, though he almost got me riled with the comment about "mindless band of Southerners" :) Just kidding. As a Tennessee boy, Bush makes me really wish he sounded like what he is, a Kennebunkport Yankee!!

The South shall rise again!

But not, I suppose with leaders like king George. OK, sorry all you supporters. Like Shawn, I'll try to keep my political rant off public boards. They may be watched, anyway.

Whoops, time to go do some casting.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3September 17th, 2007, 4:58 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

I thought of you, Louis, when I made that remark. Wait - that didn't come out right. I was pretty sure you'd notice my tongue in my cheek, though, so I wasn't too worried I'd incur your wrath (Lord knows I don't want you checking all my grammar!).

Being from the North but having lived in Carolina for awhile, I rarely pass up an opportunity to poke a little fun at Southerners. When I was there, I would rile up my friends by telling people in their presence when asked where I was from that I was Carolina born and bred, and that when I died I'd be Tar Heel dead. They'd just roll their eyes and make sure everyone knew I was just a Damn Yankee there to take advantage of their cheap in-state tuition (yes, a modern day carpetbagger). I should add that the smartest person I've ever met is probably a friend of mine from Asheville, NC.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
FalsiflySeptember 18th, 2007, 8:11 pm
Hayward, WI.

Woooooooow!!! Shawn. You have created "Some VERY interesting research" in "Global warming and flyfishing". You have withstood some off the most demeaning criticism in all of forumland. My hat goes off to you. Your diplomatic approach to peace is a testament of your fine character. In this I am serious.

Do any of you remember the forum "Best of the forum - most interesting quotes list"? I would like to add the following.

Gene: "p.s. and please no jokes about my sick mind; because if you are a flyfisherman you are all sick!"

Roger: "Yes,Gene. But surely you must realize, the greater the mind, the more sick it becomes."

Louis: "Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds."

David: "Historically, a pig or something would be strung up over a pond, and the maggots where knocked off."
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Shawnny3November 20th, 2007, 2:51 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Some even more interesting research:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071120/ap_on_sc/stem_cells

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.