Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > SUPER Realistic Flies!!

AdirmanApril 2nd, 2021, 7:25 am
Monticello, NY

I think that these are the kinds of flies we should be using; too bad it takes so long to make one though lol!!

https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/fishing/most-realistic-trout-flies/
Jmd123April 2nd, 2021, 9:42 am
Oscoda, MI

“They are some of the most detail-oriented, articulate tiers I’ve ever seen,” he says. “I wouldn’t want to fish one of their flies, not because it’s not fishable but because I wouldn’t want to lose it.” For his own fishing, Harman usually goes with more basic patterns."

If you spend two hours tying it, do you really wanna risk losing it on your first cast? (Yes, it's happened to me, including with expensive lures...). They are beautiful and sometimes almost anatomically correct down to the tarsal segment. Best put on display over your fly-tying station to show off to friends what you can do. The fish don't care, impressionism works remarkably well and takes a lot less time to tie.

But, that's my opinion, from a guy who uses a helluva lot of elkhair caddis...let the debate begin!

The one kind of fly I'll take longer on is a popper, deerhair or otherwise. Getting one of those to look just right takes some trimming or painting...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.